NOBODY GOES THERE ANYMORE … IT’S TOO CROWDED. …. Yogi Berra
It’s a New NYC dawn, MWC’ers !
And the quote above, straight from the mouth of Mr. Malaprop himself, reflects the attitude that a lot of us New Yorkers have about justifiably famous tourist activities in the world class city we call home. But the great oddity of this past year-or-so has created a once-in-a lifetime (fingers crossed!) opportunity to do some of those very activities – but without the hordes of tourists who have not yet come back to the Big Apple. How many times have you heard a New Yorker say, “I’ve never been to … because, well, it’s for tourists! Or so we think. But, you know, those tourists know a thing or two and just because you live in New York and can hop the bus to some famous attraction right around the corner – most of us DON’T. So let’s shake off our pandemic blues and boost our city and ourselves at the same time.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO JOIN US ON GOVERNOR’S ISLAND !
WELCOME TO THE MWC HOMETOWN TOURIST PROGRAM !
Check out the schedule below:
Thurs., June 10th – GOVERNOR’S ISLAND (NOTE: Sign up deadline is later – June 8th)
Wed., June 23rd – THE BRONX ZOO
Wed., July 7th – CIRCLE LINE / CLASSIC BOAT LINE
Wed., July 21st – CONEY ISLAND- NY AQUARIUM – BRIGHTON BEACH
Wed., August 11th – STATUE OF LIBERTY / ELLIS ISLAND
Wed., August 25th – BROOKLYN BRIDGE
Wed., Sept 1st – STATEN ISLAND FERRY, NYC FERRIES
How’s this gonna work?
– Two weeks before the date of the event, you will receive an email and an MWC-SLACK notification to sign-up. YOU HAVE ONE WEEK TO SIGN UP. If there is not sufficient interest or we are all too late in getting around to signing up – that event will be cancelled and we will move on to the next one. No sign-ups will be accepted after the initial week; the sign up deadline will be on the notification. (You will receive the first notification, for Governor’s Island – tomorrow.)
– There will be a $20 per person “MWC Covid Recovery” fee. This is NOT a payment for a ticket for the event. When necessary, where tickets are required, we will be responsible individually for getting our own tickets. In cases where a reservation is required (likely for the Statue of Liberty) we’ll figure something out!
– After you sign up you will receive detailed instructions as to meeting place, time, and any other important information.
– The MWC reserves the right to substitute, change or cancel events in case of extreme weather conditions, unexpected capacity restrictions or god-knows-what – but you will know about these before you sign up. In the event of cancellations, the $20 fee will be refunded.
– There are no limits on how many can attend. YES, you can invite friends and family – please do!
– We will check guidelines for each venue as to mask-vax-social distancing requirements.
– If you have suggestions for other activities please send in an email! Happy to substitute or add ones that are not here!
It’s not at all clear how many of us will be around this summer – like everything else this past year our plans may be a bit off-kilter in the coming months. But, if you’re in town, please join us! Why should tourists have all the fun?