This post is about the inaugural session of the MWC GAMES CAFE on FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 22nd – a Friday, get-the-week-end started recurring event from 11am-3pm. at the magnificent NATIONAL ARTS CLUB – which will bring together old and new MWC’ers (and guests) for MahJong AND/OR a selection of additional games. We’ll play, have lunch, we’ll play some more and, of course, spend some fun time with each other. This is an outgrowth of the success of the MWC’s MahJong groups but then we realized – why limit the fun to MahJong? Why not Scrabble? Or Canasta? Or Bridge? Or Dominoes? Or Poker? Or Pictionary? Or chess/ checkers? Or Boggle? Or Backgammon? Or Trivial Pursuit? Or A puzzle? Or… whichever games you and however many more of your friends are needed to support a game? The cost for this mid-day, four-hour activity (including lunch, but not wine) is $42.
Even better, we will be doing this (and hopefully subsequent) sessions at the oh-so-beautiful and deservedly historic NATIONAL ARTS CLUB on GRAMERCY PARK SOUTH. It’s a very, very special spot – both a National and NYC Historic landmark, the august Samuel Tilden double-mansion is chock-a-block with Tiffany windows and mahogany woodwork and just oozes with the history of the arts in America. We are truly fortunate that the NAC management has extended their good graces to the MWC and is allowing us to use their premises. Even better, the NAC has a gracious and lovely private dining room with an accomplished culinary staff. Wow, Thank you, NAC!
For some time now, MWC’ers have said it would be great to have a regular get-together which allows for some down time, where there would be opportunity for conversation and getting to know each other – and especially new members – better. Here’s hoping this will do the trick and you will be canvassed as to what “games” you’re particularly interested in. If you’re interested in a particular activity – let’s say MahJong or Bridge, for example – it might be a good idea to round up some of your friends (men are welcome!) to make sure you have a table. We cannot guarantee a minimum number for each type of activity nor playing level – but YOU can. Additionally, we want to encourage as many MWC’ers as possible to participate even if they don’t have a specific skill set (i.e. – know how to play Bridge or Canasta …). Aaaaaw, come on, let’s give this a try and SIGN UP NOW!
We will see what coalesces in terms of specific activities and also, perhaps, schedule. If we’ve learned one thing from the success of MWC’s MahJong groups – it’s that it’s pretty great to spend some time with a rotating group of others – especially new members – in a low key, fun and semi-structured social setting. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
See below for some very basic Rules for Participation in the MWC Game Cafe:
- You must sign up via SIGN-UP! on the website on or before noon the Wednesday prior to play.
- If you need to cancel – and our quorum (a minimum of 12) is met – your fee will be refunded.
- At this time, no formal instruction or supervised play will be provided – although there may be some offered on a casual, ad hoc basis.
- Games available will be on a rotating basis – and will be based on the interests of prospective attendees.
- You are welcome to invite a friend (no more than two) to join us – men are welcome!
- We cannot guarantee a minimum members of players, nor a specific skill level, for any activity.
- At this time, all registrations include lunch.
- These – and forthcoming – rules are subject to change.